Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Garden inspiration

Garden inspiration
Bee Cottage makeover

"Do the best, where you are, with what you have."  African-American Proverb.

The use of that proverb after the image of a beautifully manicured lawn seems out of place.  Allow me to explain.

Was looking at my garden, earlier, which is lovely collection of half-dead plants, empty ceramic pots and pollen covered patio furniture.  A sad, pitiful sight, indeed.

So, I decided to look around for some garden inspiration when I came across this....

Jennifer Lopez's new house in the Hamptons. 

Dammit!  My little garden is the size of a postage stamp, and a water view is sadly missing!  Hmmmph.

Ok.... Not to be discouraged.  I remembered my friend, Mary Jo's favorite saying:  "I feel like I've spent my entire life making chicken salad from chicken $hit."  And, back to the internet I go for garden inspiration.

What makes a great outdoor space??????   That Bee Cottage space was pretty amazing. 

Bee Cottage makeover by Frances Schultz

A pool certainly helps!  And, I absolutely adore the fountains in this photo and the topiary birds in the first image.  Not so sure about grass beside the pool.... trying to keep lawn cuttings out of that turquoise water might be a royal pain in the butt.

Sometimes, the biggest achievement is just making a space useful.  And, rooftop gardens are a great idea.  Amazing what a little greenery can do for a space!

Anderson Cooper's former residence in NYC

NYC rooftop garden

But, then again, I don't live in New York City.  I'm a southern boy... who must be a little ADHD today.  Let's re-focus.

It certainly helps to have a place to perch..... what about some patio furniture ideas?

Love the foliage... the slightly over staged pillows, maybe not.
Stunning space... that elevated dining area is a great great great idea.

Me likey.  Anyone for a glass of tea or a mint julep? 

What about a fire pit???  When looking for a little drama... fire would certainly fit the bill.


Now I have a problem:  Too many ideas and not enough space to use all of them!  So, today, I'll settle for a couple of plants.  Succulents are pretty, virtually indestructible, and can fill-up a couple of those ceramic containers.   
Patio, chez moi. 
Furniture, Catalina from Restoration Hardware; throw pillows, Lee Jofa for Sunbrella; basket, Calypso Cottage

It is modest, not making the cover of Architectural Digest anytime soon, costs considerably less than Jennifer Lopez's $17 million hide-away, and continues to be the size of a postage stamp.  But, it's my little patio and I love it.   Chicken salad, anyone?

"Do the best, where you are, with what you have." 

1 comment: